Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Alla breve

"The public will share the same lack of respect" that local politicians showed to their own work by voting to cut their salaries by five per cent, an "upset" Controller Gord Hume told the London Free Press. "If council members don't have respect for the job they are doing, then why would the community respect this council?"

Hume may or may not overestimate the amount of respect the public currently holds for councillors, but he certainly overestimates the job itself. The work demands of paid politicians in London are largely the products of their own conceits to manage almost every aspect of public and private life in the city. If civic engineering is a neverending and consuming task, a moderate portion of that time spent ensuring the quality of basic municipal services and minimal tax levies might earn politicians like Hume the respect they seem to crave.

1 Comment:

sarah said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



Sarah

http://www.thetreadmillguide.com