Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thoughts on a plastic grocery bag...

I don't know whats happening in London, or Ontario for that matter, but out here in the colonies of the west, the plastic grocery bag is set to become a thing of the past. While I'm not sure that this is necessarily a bad thing, I have to wonder where to motivation for this persecution of the flimsy film grocery carriers comes from. On the surface it seems to be a reaction to the number of these items that blow around the landscape. All well and good, but I just noticed that I no longer have a ready source of kitchen garbage bin liners and a noticable lack of doggy-doo retrievers.

So I have to go out and buy the commercial liners. Something I got for free in the normal course of buying groceries now costs me money. So I have to ask: Is there any chance that there was a Glad hand in this campaign?

Frankly, if the bags are the nuisance that they seem to be, couldn't they be made of biodegradable plastic? While we're at the demise of the plastic grocery bag, how about going after the disposable diapers that seem to be a ubiquitous feature of every roadside across the prairies.

I could be wrong, its happened before.

4 comments:

MapMaster said...

Effectively another tax from this cat-owning and garbage-lining consumer's point of view … not that I expect anything for my contributions.

Fenris Badwulf said...

There is a money making opportunity in this somewhere.

Sure, the capitalist blood suckers are rushing in, pushed by the invisible hand of the market to fill a need. And, sure, the proletarians and bourgeois are getting the rectonaut treatment, while the profits flow to the aristocrats.

Time for you to re-read some leftist rebellion literature from the utopian sixties. What would Jerry Rubin do?

I will not mention what, here. I will save that for my secret society roundtable.

doug rogers said...

TANSTAAFPB

ww said...

We thought the plastic bags were recyclable. That's what we were told way back when when we were "educated" to put them in the recycle bin. Now they are on the outs. Instead the grocery stores are selling, for 99 cents each, bigger cloth-like bags which you have to remember to bring with you.
This kind of stuff always ends up as another burden on the consumer; retailers just find ways to turn it to their advantage- they have to.

A pesticide ban is next on the list. Retailers near here have already stopped stocking product (which is still legal elsewhere) because they know what is coming down the pipe.

If you want to see the next totalitarian edict watch Wolfville. Its a leader!