Thursday, July 3, 2008

Citizens, shut off your engines

A feasibility study will soon be conducted by Toronto Board of Health after a recommendation by Dr. David McKeown, the city's medical officer, to impose a bylaw limiting the amount of time a vehicle can be left idling to 10 seconds.

Harmful emissions from idling vehicles contribute to the deaths, he says.

Health officials say cutting down on unnecessary idling will save people money on gas, which may change some drivers' attitudes because fuel prices continue to rise.

[..] "It's a lot easier for an enforcement officer to tell when you've been idling the vehicle for 10 seconds than to wait around to see if you've idled for three minutes," McKeown said. (CTV)
Indeed it is. Currently the fines for idling more than 3 minutes are $125. What a fine idea for raising more revenue for the city. Save lives, encourage people to save money, and collect more money to pay for more studies and enforcement officers. The Board of Health is not content to stop at Toronto boundaries. They want to save the planet too:
The Board of Health is also asking the provincial and federal governments to look into making it mandatory to put devices in vehicles that would automatically shut off the engines if idled too long.
The article makes no mention of how long is too long, but I suspect the Board of Health conveniently forgot that global warming has not yet impacted Canadian winters.

My footprint is not particularly heavy. In fact, my energy consumption if quite modest and I don't typically drive too far, and waste and consume relatively little, but discussions of bans on plastic bags, drive-throughs, incandescent light bulbs and anti-idling devices tempt me to turn on every light in my house, use more drive-throughs, drive instead of walk, and take more plastic bags than I need to carry my purchases home, in no particular order.

cp: Dust My Broom

2 comments:

Mike said...

"discussions of bans on plastic bags, drive-throughs, incandescent light bulbs and anti-idling devices tempt me to turn on every light in my house, use more drive-throughs, drive instead of walk, and take more plastic bags than I need to carry my purchases home, in no particular order."

Why do these folks go out of their way to make it *funny* to waste resources and litter? It just makes people like you and me want to show our ankles and maybe even a little calf and thigh to these sub-sub-Victorians as the sign of an unwashed brain that is not susceptible to the retarded slogans and fascions of the moment. Waste becomes the sign of an unclouded mind!

Once upon a time, without thinking, I'd take whatever time it took to find a garbage receptacle for even the tiniest candy wrapper or receipt, because it used to be the right thing to do...

...but nowadays I'm so confused. Continuing with even that minor ingrained habit of childhood increasingly feels like mindless submission to a barbarian cult's ritual cleanliness precepts instead of acting in the light-hearted, life-affirming spirit of "F. you and f. your dumbed-down pagan idol of a planet-god -- you don't have me."

Why make it so deliciously tempting and funny to epater le vert?

Richard said...

Would this also extend to cars stuck on the Don Valley Parkinglot or the 401 during rush hour?

Do these experts want to pay for my new starter from all the turning the engine on and off?