Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cost-Effective Outbreak Champions!

We don't like to brag, but some announcements just leave one with few other satisfying options.

The London Fog is among the stratospherically efficient winners of the 2006 Cost-effective Outbreak Detection in Networks Award.

For readers who are new to blogs, that of course means that the London Fog is one of the top 100 blogs for unit cost case and PA objective function. With a PA score of 0.5764, no other blog can match us for the solution of length k = 64.

If we knew how we did it, somehow it would kill the magic.

Nice try, Autonomous Source! Ha ha, Mitchieville! Maybe a little less dust might have helped, Darcey! Kate, perhaps you are just trying too hard. Ian, try some different bait. But, seriously, thanks to everyone, and good luck next year!

7 comments:

Elaine said...

What does that mean? Cost-effective Outbreak Detection in Neworks Award?

What is the prize?

MapMaster said...

Budget=k blogs: If I can read k blogs, which should I read to be most up to date? Unit cost (each blogs costs 1), optimizing population affected (PA, we want to be the first to know with many many people coming in the cascade after us)

OK, that's not very helpful, but it means that if you could only read 64 blogs "to be most up to date, i.e., to quickly know about important stories that propagate over the blogosphere," the London Fog should be one of them.

As for the methodology, there are links to pdfs at the bottom of this page, but I'll be damned if I'm going to try to figure it out.

MapMaster said...

Always mind your PAs and ks, I say.

Elaine said...

I voted for Small dead animals, for something....not sure what it was. I just like reading that blog.

Anyway, congratulations for having your PAs and K's all in a row.

Perhaps you should now start selling advertising on the blog.

There are tons of closet pro-business, non-glowtaridan type readers out there.

MapMaster said...

Thanks, Elaine, but we've gotta clean it up before we can make room for advertising space. But in any case, I've got other ideas for another place for that sympathetic advertising revenue…

MapMaster said...

Incidentally, if I only read one blog in a day, it's Small Dead Animals.

Bruce Gottfred said...

Increasing the outbreak detection score for my blog has long been on my to do list, but I just haven't had the time. But now that I see the immense rewards to be had, be assured that I will make it a higher priority. From now on, lots of short posts to items everyone already knows about!