Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Never Trust The State

When the police or the government are talking about expanding powers to stop terrorism, gangs, guns or other hot button issues you should get worried. Eventually the law will be used for purposes that some cop or politician assured us it never would. Check out the Patriot Act's latest foray into the Appalachians:

Originally touted as a tool in the struggle against terrorism, the Patriot Act now was being used in the hills of East Tennessee as part of a shadowy war that had been going on for decades, a struggle that pitted the federal
government against a homespun Appalachian culture that had churned out generation after generation of proud outlaws.
What's so bad? Apparently illegal gambling on the cockfights. Read the rest.

2 comments:

Fenris Badwulf said...

I burst into tears when I read that title of this post. The State is Love! Next you will be telling me to not trust telemarketers! There, you see! I have spilt my bowl of dinner gruel onto the cat! This is all your fault. Poor kitty!

The State is the collective will of the People, as reflected by the Secret Will of the Central Committee. How could anyone doubt the motivations of those that meet in secret for the purpose of having power over others? I have been to these meetings many times. You trust me, don't you? Oh, how my feelings are hurt. I need to be accomodated.

Anonymous said...

We won't even mention all the corn likker.

"When they came for the hillbilly rednecks I said nothing, because I wasn't a hillbilly redneck ..."