Friday, July 20, 2007

Warning: Protesting May Increase Corporate Profits

Since I first learned to read at the age of 22, I have been endlessly amazed by the worlds that the written word can open. Though it was frustrating at the time, as I look back now, I think I will be eternally grateful to the rogue social worker who forced me, phonetically, to work my way through "Anthem". Gradually, making the distinction between "p" and "q" or "b" and "d" became more than some stupid game played by eggheads staring at marks on paper for hours on end. That ability became a wondrous key to new realms of imagination and spiritual depth. No, Virginia, literacy wasn't just some passing fad promoted by the teachers' union. There were indeed good and valid reasons to have, say, both lower and upper case forms of letters. They no longer formed a barrier to understanding; instead, they became a bridge to knowledge and wisdom.

As anyone who has been fortunate enough to enjoy their hospitality would attest, the other London Fog posters have homes lined with books. Through my association with these amazingly well-read people, I have been exposed to so much book-learning that I can barely remember what life was like before the written word all those decades ago. Our marketing research shows that nearly 10% of our readers rely at least partially on friends or family members to read our posts aloud. To those of you in that position, I encourage you to take the plunge and enter the world of books.

Anyways, despite our problems with Chapters' effective Heritage Canada concession over large-scale bookselling in this country and their ripoff of Borders' format while enjoying protection from their competition, we were prompted to make some purchases this evening by the promise of pamphlet-proffering protesters pleading that passers-by pass by in place of providing Harry Potter-sized profits to power-pigs.

We stopped by Chapters and were met by a small group of impeccably polite protestors, indeed, handing out pamphlets. Once inside, we were quickly able to find a number of books we'd intended to buy but might never have gotten around to without the inspiration of the Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid. The late Kapuscinski's last book, "Travels With Herodotus", now adorns my shelf along with several other volumes. Lisa scored Vasily Grossman's "Writer at War: Soviet Journalist with the Red Army, 1941-1945".

That irrepressible Christian, Mapmaster, even bought a whole tray of piping hot Starbucks coffees, enough for all the protesters on this chilly-yet-globally-warmed July evening. (In the end, his gift was politely yet firmly rejected by the protesters.)

All in all, it was a profitable evening for the Chapters corporation, thanks to the Coalition. The store was quite busy. I personally spent over $30 per protester.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Well done!...... I am smiling.

Fenris Badwulf said...

Well done. If only my union job kept me in steady employment so I could buy a car and attend these events. Aaargh.

eng said...

Wow, am I ever clueless. I couldn't figure out why today was the day to protest. But with those lineups for HP books at midnight, they would have a captive audience.

I would have bought a Holy Bible. That's the book that documents the jews' historic claims to Israel. And the second half is all about the most famous jew who ever lived.