Sunday, March 18, 2007

March 17: Social Justice comes to Victoria Park in London Ontario

Though Mike has done a fine job covering yesterday's "Anti-War/Weather Control/Cuba Si", I've decided to include a few more photos of the protest, which turned out to be about as exciting as Al Bore's "An Inconvenient Truth."

Accompanied by The Mayor, Fenris and The Little Danish girl, Mapmaster and myself arrived at the park shortly before 12:30 to meet up with Mike for the scheduled event, but the park was empty.

As global warming decided to by-pass London this weekend, after wandering around for a while longer, we headed for the nearest coffee shop to warm up. We returned to the park closer to 1 and found Mike amongst a crowd of around 45 "social justice" advocates.



As I was much more interested in speaking with the "right-wing extremist" bloggers who attended the event, I didn't spend very much time listening to the repetitive drones of the speakers, though I did note that while the main focus was the imperialist Americans, led by the evil George Bush, climate change, poverty, First Nations and Status of Women were all thrown in for good measure to keep the freezing cold "crowd" interested.

But interested is a strong word, for the event broke up in less than a hour. The fight for social justice did not even inspire the apathetic comrades to march around the block in closing. "SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!"

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you guys missed the point of the protest...at least we were out there.

History remembers those who fight, win or lose.

Lisa said...

"At least we were out there."

Yes, all 40-50 of you were there, and so were we, along with Mr. Molnar, who make the trip from Woodstock, and Mugs, who came from Forest, and the Mitchieville crew, coming in from Toronto, though it was a freezing cold day St. Patrick's day. We're happy we could contribute our carbon footprint to the event.

Anonymous said...

"We're happy we could contribute our carbon footprint to the event"

Where was your rally? How many rallys have you had? How many people do you get out to support you? When was your cause out there, being protested en mass, by the entire world?

Lisa said...

I didn't stage a rally because I've been told that's bad for the environment and social justice besides.

Do you advocate banning public rallies? because I understand that scheduled rallies result in a heavier carbon footprint than minding your own business.

basil said...

Anonymous:

Three weeks from today The London Fog will be sponsoring a General "Whatever" Protest in Victoria Park. Come on down and we'll handout carbon paper for your foot printing pleasure (extras for those who make sure to drive - one car per person!).

Anonymous said...

"I didn't stage a rally because I've been told that's bad for the environment and social justice besides.

Do you advocate banning public rallies? because I understand that scheduled rallies result in a heavier carbon footprint than minding your own business."

Ummmm...that must be some good stuff you're smoking. Please bring some to said rally (enough to share?) We're not all "environmentalists". Some of us just care about not seeing people blow the hell out of other people for no justifiable reason...

"Three weeks from today The London Fog will be sponsoring a General "Whatever" Protest in Victoria Park"

Give me a date/time. I'll be there (and I'll actually let you know who I am, and what I represent, rather than lurk behind anonymity)

Honey Pot said...

Are you new Anon? Not that hard to find out who anyone is on the internet.

Anyhow, if you guys are going to have a protest against nothing, I would like to attend. I always wanted to attend a protest against nothing, just to say I did. I'll bring the beer, and the plastic cups.

Daniel said...

History remembers those who fight, win or lose.

The thing you may want to consider is whether history will remember your fight as tragedy or as comedy.

Ayn Steyn said...

I'd like to organize a "Destroy Iran" rally....seriously. Would anyone like to attend?

Honey Pot said...

That is something I could support. Iran has to go, and the sooner the better.

Honey Pot said...

Anne, actually that is a pretty good idea. We could burn the flags of iran, the hezzassholes, hamas and taliban. Really it would send a good message to them. I got a feeling they think that the we are a weak country, with all the fuckwit terrorist supporter rallies going on. Let's show them what real Canadians think of them.

Anonymous said...

If you're a so-called "real Canadian" I have one question:

"When did the Canucks breed with single-cell amoebas?"

Honey Pot said...

Start: Apr 1 2007 - 1:00pm
End: Apr 1 2007 - 3:00pm
Location:
Labatt Hall @ King's College
Description:

A BENEFIT CONCERT FOR THE LONDON WAR RESISTERS

A SELECTION OF CLASSICAL AND CONTEMPORARY WORKS

$10 General Admission. Tickets available at the door.-London Commons


Anon, I suppose you will be there doing the funky chicken with them.

Just how many of those cowardly traitors do we have living here in London that you would be throwing a big party for them.