Friday, August 18, 2006

Our Gender-Neutral Parental Figure which art in Parliament

SDA:

Humboldt Journal (jpg);
In her acceptance speech [Rev. Brenda] Curtis said some people think the United Church is a front for training New Democrats.

"But I assure you that it's not. However, I have my suspicions that if Jesus had been a party politician, he would have been a card-carrying New Democrat."
First things first - would Jesus have been a member of the United Church of Canada?
I doubt it… the United Church has never even got as far as Exodus 20:17
"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's."
But they've got the rendering unto Caesar bit down pat, along with the lobbying of Caesar, campaigning for Caesar, running for Caesar…

Best line of the comments at SDA from Dante:
With all due respect to the United Church, it's gotten so bad thse days that they now pray "to whom it may concern."

6 comments:

Dick said...

Yes! As a annoited member of the Satan's temple, I fell 'blameworthy desire' for your manservant Mapmaster.

Fuck'a Jesus! Hellya!

MapMaster said...

I'm still waiting for your follow-up social gospelism post, Dick. I was a United Church member until I realized I could at least get booze at the high school parties.

Dick said...

That's right, I forgot all about it. I'll put it on my to-do list.

Cheers.

Ian Scott said...

Jesus was a rabble rouser - he'd most likely be an anarchist, or at least, a libertarian. His "render unto Caesar's" shit has been misinterpreted and taken out of context.

Honey Pot said...

I thought the United Church just de-throned their god, his holiass Buzz Hargrove. I wonder who they will elect in as their new god. That being god would be a fun job wouldn't it? Get to make the rules up as you go.

Pietr said...

Only the social rules, HP.
Reality is less compliant than followers.