Monday, August 14, 2006

For the armchair policy wonk…

…or aspiring despot, NationStates is a free online game that allows players to run nations and visit the unforeseen consequences of their know-it-all social engineering on only a few billion virtual saps. As unelected leader, your response to issues alters the prosperity and prospects of your nation everyday, while you jockey for advantage in strategic alliances and bicker over ineffectual UN showman resolutions. For some reason my own subjects pay a one per cent flat income tax — I have apparently not allowed them enough personal latitude, whether they wanted it or not.

7 comments:

Pietr said...

It's not too bright.
I've just ended up with 28% tax, and a 'huge' government, all because I went for Capitalism and legalised everything.Except crime.
Mad or what?

Brent Gilliard said...

Or maybe it's thinks you're the mad one.

14% average tax here.

MapMaster said...

The game is rigged against capitalism and assumes a disproportionate amount of crime for laissez-faire societies and a similarly disproportionate cost for policing. Whatever you do, though, avoid joining the UN at all costs as its resolutions are horribly interventionist and expensive, and the game obliges your country to abide by them.

14% Brent? Either you're gaming the system really well, or you'd make a fine pre-prime ministerial Paul Martin.

Pietr said...

I've got a bit of experience with Rule-Based systems;maybe if I get the time I could create a competitor.

rhebner said...

I couldn't pick 'Freedonia' as the nation's name, (or even my home town, Manotick!). But at least I got to pick a motto, "Live Free or Die!", and my flag is the flag of Hong Kong, at one time the freeest place on Earth.

Pietr said...

Rhebner, how could you?Only six million people with a third the GNP of China, with over a billion!
How unfair!

rhebner said...

The UN seems to think I'm an anarchistic nation. Crime is rampant and taxes are only 3%. Dunno how to raise them a nudge to beef up the police force.