Wednesday, August 23, 2006

An example of state rationing

"In a year, we've done more to attract doctors than in the previous decade," said DeCicco-Best.


I have a family doctor. Why don't you?

City council is congratulating themselves after announcing two new doctors and a 57 year old pediatrician will be opening up practice in London thanks to more cash from the almighty province. And the bankrupt Adopt-A-Doc incentive program has received $10,000 more dollars in donations. Reason to celebrate? I think not:
It's estimated up to 30,000 Londoners do not have a family doctor.

[..] A city report said London needs 63 new doctors just to meet Ontario's basic service standard of one doctor for every 1,380 patients.

With about 194 full-time family doctors, London has one doctor for every 1,835 residents.
As the population grows, so will the shortage of doctors so long as the government continues to prevent private clinics from providing services to willing customers, while at the same time helping some municipalities and regions jump the queue at the expense of the others with your money. Count yourself "fortunate" if you are so unfortunate to lay your mat in a designated "underserviced" area.

Breaking News!! from the London Free Press website. Londoners lacking a doctor flock to the reported practicing site of Dr. Huma Alam, one of two physicians expected to practice in our foggy city, only to be turned away, yet again:
The City was scrambling to set the record straight yesterday, after several patients raced to sign up for a newly announced doctor - only to be told she was leaving and not taking new patients.

It turns out Dr. Huma Alam does intend to start up a practice in London but not until January when her present contract is over.

A mix up of information earlier this week sent several would-be patients rushing over to the Family Clinic of St. Joseph’s Health Care on Platt’s Lane where Alam is filling in for a maternity leave.

[..] Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best said yesterday the error was the fault of the City and it should have been announced that Alam would not be taking new patients until January.

[..] Alam, who obtained her medical degree in Pakistan and recently graduated Western’s residency program, has not confirmed yet where she plans to set up her practice.
Oops. Sorry. You'll get over it, as you have no choice.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

LFP re: Cherry Picking patients by Doctors in London. I concurred and wrote to the LFP of my experience...it wasn't printed....I will let you know my results; My Doctor gave up his practise June 13th..As a patient with Emphysema I immediately set about trying to locate a Doctor to replace him.Prior to his departure I signed an application at the Aim Health Centre,Dundas Street and Saskatoon as they were "advertising they were taking patients"!....Two and a half months later after me calling them at least three times I received a call..The Doctor was "NOT"taking any more patients...So again I went on The hunt..Next stop Highbury Medical Clinic..."advertising taking patients" I questioned the receptionist why one would have to wait for the Doctor to review the application and not the patient..The reply was they could get anywhere up to 7000 applications;I responded by saying would you not stop at a number the Doctor could serve? No response,I was told I should hear in about 4-6 weeks....Now that one month have gone by I called and was told you should receive a call in a month or two! I explained I had Emphysema and this was upsetting me trying to find a Doctor....That they ADVERTISE they are taking patients! Her reply if you have a problem you can go to any walk in...What the ruddy heck is going on...Its reminds me of putting out housands of resumes and hoping you get picked. Sandy This "IS" a serious problem in London....I now will go to another suggested "available" Doctor North Centre Road,who is also taking patients...MAYBE!I decided to leave a message instead asking if they were only taking applications with another long wait....no response!!wonder why.

PERHAPS THEY ARE JUST COLLECTING APPLICATIONS....AND CHERRYPICKING AS WAS MENTIONED.WHEN DO THE DOCTORS FIND TIME TO ACTUALLY EVALUATE A PATIENT WHO IS A TRULY SICK ONE,ONE WONDERS.!
i ALSO CHECKING THE 230 ON THE PHYSICIANS LIST OF AVAILABLE DOCTORS....NONE ARE TAKING NEW PATIENTS..SURPRISE SURPRISE!
HOW ABOUT STARTING A "ADOPT A PATIENT PROGRAM" AS TOMMY LEE PUTS IT...CAN WE GET A HELL YEAHHHHHH!

Cherrypicking

Betty Howard