Monday, May 8, 2006

Andrew Coyne, via Jay Jardine, on the essence of democratic government:

If it moves, this [Ontario] government will subsidize it. Or even it if doesn’t. The important thing is to spend, or be seen to. There was money for energy conservation and money for energy consumption; money for roads and money for public transit. You read that right: The government of Ontario will pay you to turn the lights off and pay you to leave them on; pay you to use the car and pay you to leave the car at home.

Indeed, since the same government boasts of its willingness to subsidize the auto industry, we can further sum up the McGuinty approach to transportation: More cars should be built, but fewer people should be driving them.

But why pick on Ontario? All governments, at every level, do the same thing, for every mode of transportation. The poor traveller is beset on all sides by conflicting messages. Take the bus! No, take the train! Please, I’m begging you: take the plane! We’re paying top dollar to anyone who will just drive their car! And all these subsidies are paid for with the taxes on his own labour. The government, he may conclude, wants him to quit working and take up travelling. Here’s another suggestion: Instead of paying all these offsetting, overlapping subsidies to lure travellers down this road or that railway, why don’t we just stop subsidizing any of them?
Mitchieville on the essence of the democratically governed:
Smarter people than you and I, possibly people who have no children to speak of, know what's best for our kids. These people are very important and most likely have many leather bound books and framed degrees on their walls with many letters after their names. They know what's best.

1 Comment:

Mack the Plain Little Turtle said...

RB: Do you know who I am?

VC: No, I can't say that I do.

RB: I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal.

VC: Really?

RB: People know me.

VC: I'm very happy for you.

RB: I'm very important. I have...many leather-bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. I... I'm friends with Merlin Olsen, too. He comes over on occasion....That's stupid.

VC: No, no, that's...very exciting.

RB: Listen, can I...can I start over again?

VC: Sure.

RB: I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it. If you don't, send it right back.

VC: Mm-hmm.

RB: I wanna be on you. Wait. Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! I...