Monday, April 3, 2006

"Save The Planet" or "Kill Everyone Now": Hey, why can't we do both?

Courtesy Dennis Prager show, but Technorati led me to Reason:

Professor Pianka said the Earth as we know it will not survive without drastic measures. Then, and without presenting any data to justify this number, he asserted that the only feasible solution to saving the Earth is to reduce the population to 10 percent of the present number.

He then showed solutions for reducing the world's population in the form of a slide depicting the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. War and famine would not do, he explained. Instead, disease offered the most efficient and fastest way to kill the billions that must soon die if the population crisis is to be solved.

Pianka then displayed a slide showing rows of human skulls, one of which had red lights flashing from its eye sockets.

...Meanwhile, I still can't get out of my mind the pleasant spring day in Texas when a few hundred scientists of the Texas Academy of Science gave a standing ovation for a speaker who they heard advocate for the slow and torturous death of over five billion human beings.
At an all-candidate's debate I yanked the chain of a local Liberal by asking a question that forced him to choose between people having children and damaging the environment, or people not having kids and saving the environment. My unspoken point being that schemes such as Soviet Child Care and Kyoto and so on all work against and contradict each other; but my question might have sounded vaguely yet rabidly Green to simultaneous supporters of Soviet-style day care and Kyoto. (And do any favour one, and not the other?)

After the debate, an earnest Green came up to me and told me my kind of Greens usually don't speak of the necessary culling in such stark terms because it turns people off of environmentalism -- and it's true, I'd probably turned off a lot of people in the audience, at least judging by the catcalls and requests for my retroactive abortion. So I accepted her advice as she recommended a series of books about the matter of trimming the harmful fat from the body of humanity from a Green perspective. You don't just go ahead and spell that stuff out for no reason!

1 Comment:

Pietr said...

If death was not an actual evil, nobody would ever become a medico.