Friday, February 17, 2006

Don't like it? Don't buy it


Female activisits continue to invest images, words and ads with with the power to "cause" males to discriminate:
Following complaints from a feminist group and incensed customers, New Brunswick's Moosehead Breweries has pulled an ad that implied women should speak no more than 50 words a day.

The ad, which appeared in the Onion, a U.S.-based satirical magazine, read: "The average woman speaks 10,000 words in a day. Roughly 9,950 too many."

"It's offensive," said Rosella Melanson, executive director of the New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women. "It's saying women should not be listened to."
Some women, like Rosella Menlanson for example, should not be listened to. As a woman who does not rush into hysterics because someone makes a satirical joke about women, I find such comments "offensive". I don't require your particular brand of "protection", and I resent your world view which paints women as pathetic, weak creatures who must resort to censorship to gain respect.

Go get a real job melon head. Actions speak louder than words.

I encourage all readers to purchase a case of Moosehead this weekend.

2 comments:

Ayn Steyn said...

I'm still working my way through my case of Tuborg Gold. A Tasty Danish bevie! Moosehead's next on the list. Mmmm....beer.

basil said...

God damn, that ad makes me hot. I need a nice cold Moosehead to cool off.

By the way Lisa, I feel it necessary to point out that you are thirty-seven words over your limit for the day in your post.

"Titties & beer, titties & beer, titties & beer, titties & beer, titties & beer, titties & beer, titties & beer, titties & beer . . . "

HT: Frank Zappa