Thursday, October 13, 2005

The garbage saga continues here in London Ontario

Is anyone else confused about which day they are allowed to put out their trash next week?


I followed the instructions located on the bottom of the online version of the calendar and so accordingly went to the city website to learn more about 'waste reduction week.' Well, now I am really confused:
Waste Reduction Week is celebrated across the country each year by schools, municipalities, businesses and individuals. The purpose of the week is to educate people and encourage waste minimization and reduction initiatives.

The City of London’s approach has generally been to recognize the importance of this week; however waste reduction must be considered all year round. With this in mind, the City uses a variety of opportunities throughout the year to encourage reduction, reuse, recycling and composting. This is the first time we have posted a specific web page associated with Waste Reduction Week. The page will grow with ideas as they become available locally and we tap into success stories across Canada.

The 3Rs - reduce, reuse and recycle - have become part of everyday life. Reduce is the most important of the 3Rs. If we can reduce the amount of waste produced, we are conserving resources and limiting the need to reuse and recycle. Reducing waste will directly affect the amount of landfill space required, natural resources required, greenhouse gases produced and will save a municipality money in disposal costs.
So, I'm to guess which day the garbage truck will make a stop on my street, perhaps providing an unexpected opportunity for local raccoons? Or can I put out garbage any day of the week and it will be picked up? The trucks will be out in full force, creating pollution, as they pick up my trash in celebration of waste reduction week? Get rid of it now, as this might be your last chance! Or am I prohibited from putting out my garbage next week? Maybe I'll just haul my trash over to city hall where it is sure to be mistaken as public art.

2 comments:

The Mayor said...

Do you think there are actually people who *celebrate* waste reduction week?

I'd celebrate it, but I have nothing to wear.

Pietr said...

I know.It is such a beastly problem.
Perhaps one could find something to wear in the litter adorning the footpaths in one's locale?
Then one could be doubly jolly, at having found something to wear and recycling on one's own initiative!