Saturday, September 3, 2005

Stupid race tricks

The Atavist fingers the post-Katrina reaction of the institutionalized political racism-calling industry for what it is — racist:

I am amazed at the number of people who are stating, often hysterically, that delayed help and rescue to victims of Hurricane Katrina is racially motivated. The reasoning seems to be that:
1. since response has been slow and
2. most of the victims are black,
3. it must follow that response has been slow because no-one cares about the blacks.
More

2 comments:

DazzlinDino said...

ACtually, I don't think the responce was that slow, the sheer number of people makes the task staggering and con't be waded into. If busses showed up one at a time, could you imagine the pandemonium?. If a supply truck gets hijacked going to a hospital, what chance would a empty bus have of getting through, none, with a dead driver to boot...

The Atavist said...

You're right. I perhaps should have said 'perceived to be slow' in my post. I think better planning would have been helpful but the scope of the tragedy is so large that I'm not sure how any of us might have done a better job co-ordinating things. That, though, wasn't really the point of the post. The point was that political opportunists are lining up, three deep, to cast stones, aspersions, and anything else handy. That is what ticks me off.