Tuesday, September 6, 2005

"I only have my Grade 8 and I didn't understand what I did was wrong"

Stealing $2.8 million is a relative thing… relative to whether you are a public official or not, that is. Thanks to the Canadian Taxpayers Federation blog for pointing out this story from the Regina Leader-Post (subscription only):

A former chief and two other officials with the Saulteaux First Nation were sentenced Friday to two years of house arrest for plundering $1 million of their own band funds.

[…] The trio also signed cheques for another $1.8 million to friends and relatives in excessive of their legitimate wages.

[…] "I'm very sorry, but I only have my Grade 8 and I didn't understand what I did was wrong. Now I know there are some things I should not do," [Archie Moccasin, former band trustee] said.
Two years house arrest? I guess nobody would want to establish an exacting precedent for the crime of stealing public funds. Archie Moccasin can exploit a lack of education in his defense — although it hasn't hurt it his PR creativity — but what can the Liberals implicated in Adscam try in theirs? Too many postmodernism classes in law school?

8 comments:

Publius said...

Hold on. I've got a BA, so how much can I steal and only get house arrest? Or is that punishments should be inflicted according to level of education regardless of the extent of the crime.

In either case I'm wondering what John Ralston Saul would get, were he to be convicted for his various crimes against language, reason and good fashion sense.

MapMaster said...

Just a BA? Too proletarian, you're screwed...

As far as John Ralston Saul is concerned, he's already married to Adrienne Clarkson. What more could you want to do to the man?

darcey said...

Its actually not unusual for this excuse to be used. I suddenly don't speak english is another one.

Publius said...

The not speaking English is more effective when you can babble away in another language convincingly. No, No English. Portuguese. No English.

Pietr said...

Pardonezz moy.Jer ner compronde pass.
Esker vows parlezz Fransayse?

MapMaster said...

Sorehead, with your comprehension of Canadian political idiom, you should expect the keys to the treasury any day.

Pietr said...

Bee-en.Mayse, peoot eter jer swiss un ajont provocatur key abbit Ottowa deja?
Non.
On Ongla tear kest la meem chose, seulement vachement plus crap.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just wanted to make a comment on your article. I know Archie Moccasin personally. There are two sides to every story. Archie is a very wise man, but what he didn't realize when he was invovled with the whole situation was the terminology. If you were to meet him you would understand. He is a very cultural person. His fluency in English is not that great. There are different interpretations for the Cree language and English. Most of the words in our case have umbrella terms. Sure he was not well educated, but reserve politics are a different story too. This case was a Robinhood story. "They stole from the rich to give to the poor." The people that proceeded with the charges were just greedy. Thank you fur listening.