Sunday, July 3, 2005

The Mixed Economy of Sesame Street

Via Catallarchy:

Maria: Hey, wait a minute. Those are my cookies. I baked them myself. Where did you get them?

Cookie Hood: I am cookie hood, remember. I take cookies from people who have too many, and give them to people who don’t.

Cookie Monster: But that’s stealing

Maria: Right.

Man: Yes

Cookie Hood: Stealing?

Horse: Told you so.

Big Bird: Yeah. When you take something that doesn’t belong to you, that’s stealing.

Cookie Hood: Even cookies?

Cookie Monster: Even cookies.

Cookie Hood: Oh, but, I only wanted to help people who didn’t have cookies. I didn’t mean to steal. Honest, old chap.
Public service ad directly following:
[..] a representative of New York’s channel 13 informed us of the House of Representatives’ efforts to “slash” the funding for public broadcasting by 45%, and urged us to let our elected officials know how we feel about this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seasame Street was formally boycotted in our house after I witnessed the Episode where Kofi Annan appeared. They had him as part of their "neighborhood" song.

Oh... the Secretary General is a person in your neighborhood... In Your Neighborhood... In Your Neighborhood...

I started swearing at the TV set, turned it off, and explained to my son that this was actually just a lie. He asked me why it was that Seasame Street would like to him. We then had a long conversation about propaganda.

MWW

Anonymous said...

like = lie...

Astrid said...

Haha... Cookie Hood, would you like some of my freshly baked oatmeal-and-raisin-cookies to give to those who need them most?

Pietr said...

My stepdad was a bomber pilot.
He used to give cookies to the Germans during the war.
They weighed 4000 pounds and blew the roofs of all the buildings.
I bet he'd just love to see Germany become a permanent member of the Security Council.